Smoke Alarm Program
The Northfield Township Fire Department is proud to offer a smoke detector installation program for residents. We have teamed up with Michigan’s State Fire Marshal and the MI-Prevention program who have provided us with a supply of detectors to kick off this program. The mission of MI-Prevention is to provide sustainable community risk reduction programs to minimize fire deaths, injuries, and property loss within the state of Michigan. We are fully committed to their goal of reducing the number of structure fires statewide, thereby protecting the health and safety of our citizens and firefighters.
To request a smoke detector, please fill out the survey found in the link below.
Facts and figures about smoke alarms
- Between 2014-2018, smoke alarms sounded in more than half (54%) of the home fires reported to U.S. fire departments.
- Almost three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms (41%) or non-working smoke alarms (16%).
- The death rate per 1,000 reported home fires was more than twice as high in homes that did not have any working smoke alarms compared to the rate in homes with working smoke alarms (13.0 deaths vs. 5.8 deaths per 1,000 fires).
- In fires in which the smoke alarms were present but did not operate, two of every five (41%) of the smoke alarms had missing or disconnected batteries.
- Dead batteries caused one-quarter (26%) of the smoke alarm failures.
(National Fire Protection Association)